Courts

FILE - In this April 4, 2018, file photo, Paul Manafort, President Donald Trump's former campaign chairman, leaves the federal courthouse in Washington. (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik, File)
February 15, 2019 - 8:38 pm
WASHINGTON (AP) — Paul Manafort, the one-time chairman of Donald Trump's presidential campaign, could spend more than 19 years in prison on tax and bank fraud charges, prosecutors said Friday. Court documents filed by special counsel Robert Mueller's office reveal that Manafort faces possibly the...
Read More
In this Feb. 1, 2019 photo, former campaign adviser for President Donald Trump, Roger Stone, leaves federal court in Washington. U.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson has issued a gag order in the case of Donald Trump confidant Roger Stone. Jackson said in an order Friday that both sides must refrain from making statements to the media or the public that could prejudice the case. (AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais)
February 15, 2019 - 8:36 pm
WASHINGTON (AP) — A federal judge on Friday placed some limits on what President Donald Trump's longtime confidant Roger Stone and his lawyers can say publicly about his criminal case in the special counsel's Russia probe. But U.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson stopped short of imposing a broad...
Read More
President Donald Trump gestures to the audience as he heads to the Oval Office after speaking during an event in the Rose Garden at the White House in Washington, Friday, Feb. 15, 2019, to declare a national emergency in order to build a wall along the southern border. (AP Photo/Susan Walsh)
February 15, 2019 - 8:14 pm
WASHINGTON (AP) — Let the lawsuits begin. President Donald Trump declared a national emergency along the southern border Friday and predicted his administration would end up defending it all the way to the Supreme Court. That might have been the only thing Trump said Friday that produced near-...
Read More
FILE - This June 2018 file photo shows protesters walking along Montana Avenue outside the El Paso Processing Center, in El Paso, Texas. The U.S. government has suddenly stopped force-feeding a group of men on a hunger strike inside a Texas immigration detention center, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement said Thursday, Feb. 14, 2019. The dramatic reversal comes as public pressure was mounting on ICE to halt the practice, which involves feeding detainees through nasal tubes against their will. (Rudy Gutierrez/The El Paso Times via AP, File)
February 15, 2019 - 8:09 pm
EL PASO, Texas (AP) — The U.S. government has suddenly stopped force-feeding a group of men on a hunger strike inside an El Paso immigration detention center, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement said. The dramatic reversal came Thursday as public pressure was mounting on ICE to halt the...
Read More
FILE - In this May 4, 2018, file photo, California Attorney General Xavier Becerra, at podium, announces at a news conference in Los Angeles that the city and county of Los Angeles, as well as four other cities have joined a lawsuit the state previously filed challenging the Trump administration's plan to ask people if they are U.S. citizens during the 2020 census. A U.S. judge in San Francisco will hear closing arguments Friday, Feb. 15, 2019, in a trial over the Trump administration's decision to add a citizenship question to the 2020 U.S. Census for the first time in 70 years. (AP Photo/Damian Dovarganes, File)
February 15, 2019 - 8:06 pm
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — The process behind Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross' decision to ask about people's citizenship status on the 2020 U.S. census was "rotten to its core" and failed to consider that the question would cost California a substantial amount of money and at least one Congressional seat...
Read More
California Attorney General Xavier Becerra, right, accompanied by Gov. Gavin Newsom, said California will probably sue President Donald Trump over his emergency declaration to fund a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border Friday, Feb. 15, 2019, in Sacramento, Calif. Becerra says there is no emergency at the border and Trump doesn't have the authority to make the declaration. (AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli)
February 15, 2019 - 8:05 pm
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — California is likely to sue President Donald Trump over his emergency declaration to fund a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border, the state attorney general said Friday. Attorney General Xavier Becerra and Gov. Gavin Newsom, both Democrats, told reporters there is no emergency...
Read More
February 15, 2019 - 7:54 pm
BILLINGS, Mont. (AP) — A federal judge in Montana has largely kept in place an injunction that blocks a Canadian company from performing preliminary work on the stalled Keystone XL oil pipeline. U.S. District Judge Brian Morris on Friday denied a request by Calgary-based TransCanada to begin...
Read More
February 15, 2019 - 6:23 pm
LOS ANGELES (AP) — A Los Angeles federal judge has permanently blocked the Trump administration from favoring police departments that cooperate with immigration officials when issuing some law enforcement grants. Judge Manuel Real ruled Friday in U.S. District Court that the Department of Justice...
Read More
FILE - This March 23, 2018, file photo shows an envelope containing a 2018 census letter mailed to a U.S. resident as part of the nation's only test run of the 2020 Census. The Supreme Court will decide whether the 2020 census can include a question about citizenship that could affect the allocation of seats in the House of Representatives and the distribution of billions of dollars in federal money.(AP Photo/Michelle R. Smith, File)
February 15, 2019 - 2:04 pm
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court will decide whether the 2020 census can include a question about citizenship that could affect the allocation of seats in the House of Representatives and the distribution of billions of dollars in federal money. The justices agreed Friday to a speedy review of a...
Read More
FILE - In this Jan. 26, 2012, file photo, New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez speaks to reporters at his locker at the NFL football stadium in Foxborough, Mass. A federal judge says the 6-year-old daughter of deceased NFL player Aaron Hernandez missed a 2014 deadline to opt out of the $1 billion concussion settlement and can't separately sue the league over his CTE diagnosis. Yet Hernandez’s death in 2017 came too late for his family to seek compensation for CTE-related suicides under the class action settlement. 
 (AP Photo/Elise Amendola, File)
February 15, 2019 - 1:33 pm
PHILADELPHIA (AP) — The 6-year-old daughter of the late NFL player Aaron Hernandez missed a 2014 deadline to opt out of the league's concussion settlement and can't separately pursue a $20 million suit over his diagnosis of a degenerative brain disease, a judge ruled. Yet Hernandez's death in 2017...
Read More

Pages