Hemorrhagic fever

May 16, 2019 - 3:00 pm
DAKAR, Senegal (AP) — An international aid organization says it only has enough funding to continue safe burials for Ebola victims in eastern Congo for two more weeks. The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies said Thursday that unless it gets more funding it won't be...
Read More
FILE - In this Sunday, Sept 9, 2018, file photo, health workers walk with a boy suspected of having the Ebola virus at an Ebola treatment centre in Beni, Eastern Congo. The World Health Organization is warning it may not be possible to contain Ebola to the two affected provinces in eastern Congo if violent attacks on health teams continue. In an update Friday, May 10, 2019 WHO warned that Ebola response activities had been halted for five consecutive days because of the insecurity(AP Photo/Al-hadji Kudra Maliro, File)
May 10, 2019 - 12:11 pm
DAKAR, Senegal (AP) — The World Health Organization warned Friday that it may not be possible to contain Ebola to the two affected provinces in eastern Congo if violent attacks on health teams continue. The ominous statement comes amid escalating violence nine months after the outbreak began,...
Read More
FILE - In this Sunday, Sept. 9, 2018 file photo, a health worker feeds a boy suspected of having the Ebola virus at an Ebola treatment centre in Beni, Eastern Congo. The World Health Organization says Ebola deaths in Congo's latest outbreak are expected to exceed 1,000 later on Friday, May 3, 2019. WHO's emergencies chief made the announcement at a news conference in Geneva. The Ebola outbreak that was declared in eastern Congo in August is already the second deadliest outbreak in history, and efforts to control it have been complicated by a volatile security situation and deep community mistrust. (AP Photo/Al-hadji Kudra Maliro, File)
May 03, 2019 - 3:50 pm
KINSHASA, Congo (AP) — More than 1,000 people have died from Ebola in eastern Congo since August, the country's health minister said Friday as hostility toward health workers continues to hamper efforts to contain the second-deadliest outbreak of the virus. Health Minister Oly Ilunga told The...
Read More
FILE - In this Sunday, Sept. 9, 2018 file photo, a health worker feeds a boy suspected of having the Ebola virus at an Ebola treatment centre in Beni, Eastern Congo. The World Health Organization says Ebola deaths in Congo's latest outbreak are expected to exceed 1,000 later on Friday, May 3, 2019. WHO's emergencies chief made the announcement at a news conference in Geneva. The Ebola outbreak that was declared in eastern Congo in August is already the second deadliest outbreak in history, and efforts to control it have been complicated by a volatile security situation and deep community mistrust. (AP Photo/Al-hadji Kudra Maliro, File)
May 03, 2019 - 2:24 pm
GENEVA (AP) — The Latest on the Ebola outbreak in Congo (all times local): 7:15 p.m. Congo's Health Ministry says more than 1,000 people have died in an Ebola outbreak that started in August. Health Minister Oly Ilunga confirmed to The Associated Press on Friday that the number of infected people...
Read More
Doctors and health workers march in the Eastern Congo town of Butembo on Wednesday April 24, 2019, after attackers last week shot and killed an epidemiologist from Cameroon who was working for the World Health Organization. Doctors at the epicenter of Congo's Ebola's crisis are threatening to go on strike indefinitely if health workers are attacked again. (AP Photo/Al-hadji Kudra Maliro)
April 30, 2019 - 4:59 pm
BUTEMBO, Congo (AP) — The woman spent more than a week at home sick before family members tried to take her to an Ebola treatment center in eastern Congo. Before the motorcycle could reach the facility, it was too late. Her crumpled body rested against the driver's back as he worriedly made phone...
Read More
Police shelter behind a hospital sign, as they guard a hospital in Butembo, Congo, on Saturday, April 20, 2019, after militia members attacked an Ebola treatment center in the city’s Katwa district overnight. Violence has deeply complicated efforts to contain what has become the second-deadliest Ebola virus outbreak in history. (AP Photo/Al-Hadji Kudra Maliro)
April 20, 2019 - 3:59 pm
BUTEMBO, Congo (AP) — Militia members attacked an Ebola treatment center hours after another attack killed a staffer with the World Health Organization, a Congolese official said Saturday. Butembo city's deputy mayor, Patrick Kambale Tsiko, told The Associated Press that the attackers armed with...
Read More
An Ebola health worker is seen at a treatment centre in Beni, Eastern Congo, Tuesday April,16, 2019. Congo's president on Tuesday said he wants to see a deadly Ebola virus outbreak contained in less than three months even as some health experts say it could take twice as long. (AP Photo/Al-hadji Kudra Maliro)
April 19, 2019 - 5:06 pm
BENI, Congo (AP) — Attackers stormed a hospital at the epicenter of Congo's Ebola outbreak and killed "a dear colleague," the head of the World Health Organization said Friday as he condemned the latest violence against health workers trying to contain the virus. "We are outraged," WHO Director-...
Read More
Congo's president, Felix Tshisekedi, center, visits an Ebola treatment centre in Beni, Eastern Congo, Tuesday April.16, 2019. Congo's president on Tuesday said he wants to see a deadly Ebola virus outbreak contained in less than three months even as some health experts say it could take twice as long. (AP Photo/Al-hadji Kudra Maliro)
April 16, 2019 - 5:13 pm
BENI, Congo (AP) — Congo's president said Tuesday that he wants an Ebola virus outbreak that already has become the country's second-deadliest contained in less than three months, although some health experts estimate it could take twice as long. President Felix Tshisekedi set the timeline while...
Read More
FILE - In this Sunday, Sept 9, 2018 file photo, a health worker sprays disinfectant on his colleague after working at an Ebola treatment center in Beni, eastern Congo. Top Red Cross official Emanuele Capobianco said Friday April 12, 2019, that he's "more concerned than I have ever been" about the possible regional spread of the Ebola virus in Congo after a recent spike in cases. (AP Photo/Al-hadji Kudra Maliro, File)
April 13, 2019 - 7:33 am
JOHANNESBURG (AP) — The World Health Organization has decided that the latest outbreak of the deadly Ebola virus in Congo is not yet a global health emergency , causing frustration among some health experts. With multiple rebel groups active in the region, wary communities sometimes resisting...
Read More
FILE - In this Sunday, Sept 9, 2018 file photo, a health worker sprays disinfectant on his colleague after working at an Ebola treatment center in Beni, eastern Congo. Top Red Cross official Emanuele Capobianco said Friday April 12, 2019, that he's "more concerned than I have ever been" about the possible regional spread of the Ebola virus in Congo after a recent spike in cases. (AP Photo/Al-hadji Kudra Maliro, File)
April 12, 2019 - 3:07 pm
GENEVA (AP) — The ongoing Ebola outbreak in Congo does not yet warrant being declared a global emergency but is of "deep concern," the World Health Organization said Friday. Following a meeting of its expert committee, the U.N. health agency called for efforts to be redoubled to stop the deadly...
Read More

Pages