Telecommunications services

FILE - In this Oct. 8, 2012, file photo, a salesperson stands at counters selling mobile phones produced by ZTE Corp. at an appliance store in Wuhan in central China's Hubei province. President Donald Trump said Sunday, May 13, 2018, that he would help a Chinese telecommunications company get "back into business," saying too many jobs in China are stake after the U.S. government cut off access to its American suppliers. At issue is the Commerce Department’s move last month to block the ZTE Corp., a major supplier of telecoms networks and smartphones based in southern China, from importing American components for seven years. (Chinatopix Via AP, File)
May 13, 2018 - 9:01 pm
WASHINGTON (AP) — In a surprising overture to China, President Donald Trump said Sunday he would help a Chinese telecommunications company get "back into business," saying too many jobs in China are at stake after the U.S. government cut off access to its American suppliers. At issue is the...
Read More
FILE - In this Nov. 4, 2014 file photo, SoftBank founder and Chief Executive Officer Masayoshi Son speaks during a news conference in Tokyo. Japanese technology company SoftBank Group Corp. said Wednesday, May 9, 2018 its quarterly profit fell but says its fortunes will change dramatically if reported deals come through. (AP Photo/Eugene Hoshiko, File)
May 09, 2018 - 6:03 am
TOKYO (AP) — The head of Japanese technology company SoftBank Group Corp. said Wednesday it has reached an agreement to sell its stake in Indian e-commerce company Flipkart to Walmart. Softbank founder and CEO Masayoshi Son did not give details in confirming the deal, which has been widely...
Read More
May 09, 2018 - 5:12 am
TOKYO (AP) — The Latest on Softbank's plan to sell its stake in India's Flipkart to U.S. retail giant Walmart (all times local): 6:00 p.m. The head of Japanese technology company SoftBank Group Corp. says it has reached an agreement to sell its stake in Indian e-commerce company Flipkart to Walmart...
Read More
T-Mobile CEO John Legere, left, and Sprint CEO Marcelo Claure pose for photos on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange, Monday, April 30, 2018. To gain approval for their $26.5 billion merger agreement, T-Mobile and Sprint aim to convince antitrust regulators that there is plenty of competition for wireless service beyond Verizon and AT&T. (AP Photo/Richard Drew)
April 30, 2018 - 2:06 pm
NEW YORK (AP) — To gain approval for their $26.5 billion merger agreement, T-Mobile and Sprint aim to convince antitrust regulators that there is plenty of competition for wireless service beyond Verizon and AT&T. The deal announced Sunday would combine the nation's third- and fourth-largest...
Read More
FILE- In this April 27, 2010 file photo, a woman using a cell phone walks past T-Mobile and Sprint stores in New York. T-Mobile and Sprint are trying again to combine in a deal that would reshape the U.S. wireless landscape, the companies announced Sunday, April 29, 2018 (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan, File)
April 29, 2018 - 10:18 pm
NEW YORK (AP) — T-Mobile and Sprint reached a $26.5 billion merger agreement Sunday that would reduce the U.S. wireless industry to three major players — that is, if the Trump administration's antitrust regulators let the deal go through. The nation's third- and fourth-largest wireless companies...
Read More
FILE- This combo of file photos shows a Netflix logo on an iPhone in Philadelphia on July 17, 2017, bottom, and a Comcast sign on Oct. 12, 2017, in Hialeah, Fla. Comcast is trying to refigure the traditional cable bundle, adding services like Netflix to its subscription packages and offering internet-only TV streaming. The moves come as Comcast, the world’s largest cable company, and other cable operators try to work out relationships with once fierce rivals in a changing media landscape. (AP Photo/File)
April 25, 2018 - 3:51 pm
NEW YORK (AP) — Comcast is trying to refigure the traditional cable bundle, adding services like Netflix to its subscription packages and offering internet-only TV streaming. The moves come as Comcast, the world's largest cable company, and other cable operators try to work out relationships with...
Read More
FILE - This Wednesday, Feb. 8, 2017, file photo shows the AT&T sign at a store in Hialeah, Fla. The Justice Department has opened an antitrust investigation into whether AT&T, Verizon and a standards-setting group worked together to stop consumers from easily switching wireless carriers. The companies confirmed the inquiry in separate statements late Friday, April 20, 2018, in response to a report in The New York Times. (AP Photo/Alan Diaz, File)
April 21, 2018 - 2:03 am
NEW YORK (AP) — The Justice Department has opened an antitrust investigation into whether AT&T, Verizon and a standards-setting group worked together to stop consumers from easily switching wireless carriers. The companies confirmed the inquiry in separate statements late Friday in response to...
Read More
April 05, 2018 - 6:44 am
(The Conversation is an independent and nonprofit source of news, analysis and commentary from academic experts.) Christopher Palma, Pennsylvania State University (THE CONVERSATION) I saw my first artificial satellite with my naked eyes during the summer of 1994. I was watching pieces of comet...
Read More
FILE - This undated file photo provided by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office shows the StingRay II, a cellular site simulator used for surveillance purposes manufactured by Harris Corporation, of Melbourne, Fla. The Department of Homeland Security says it has identified suspected rogue cell tower simulators in Washington. The suspected simulators, known popularly as Stingrays, were detected by a DHS contractor in early 2017 during a 90-day pilot. (U.S. Patent and Trademark Office via AP, File)
April 03, 2018 - 7:28 pm
For the first time, the U.S. government has publicly acknowledged the existence in Washington of what appear to be rogue devices that foreign spies and criminals could be using to track individual cellphones and intercept calls and messages. The use of what are known as cellphone-site simulators by...
Read More
FILE - In this Thursday, Nov. 2, 2017, file photo, Broadcom CEO Hock Tan speaks while U.S. President Donald Trump listens, in background, during an event at the White House in Washington, to announce the company is moving its global headquarters to the United States. In a decision announced Monday, March 12, 2018, Trump is blocking Singapore chipmaker Broadcom from pursuing a hostile takeover of U.S. rival Qualcomm on the grounds that the combination would threaten national security. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci, File)
March 12, 2018 - 9:02 pm
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump blocked Singapore chipmaker Broadcom from pursuing a hostile takeover of U.S. rival Qualcomm, ruling the proposed combination would imperil national security. The decision, announced late Monday, abruptly ends Broadcom's four-month, $117 billion bid to buy...
Read More

Pages